“Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine.”
Anthony J. D’Angelo
WAYS TO NATURALLY IMPROVE YOUR MOOD
- Smile! Smiling is contagious. If you are in a good mood it helps raise the moods of others. ex. In the morning at work when everyone is quiet and has not really ‘woken up,’ if you are bubbly and smiley, the effect will cause others to be uplifted, even if they’re laughing at you and your good mood, they’ll have a smile on their face to start out the day.
- Fake it if you have to! It’s nothing to be ashamed of, sometimes you just don’t feel like being ‘up’ and chipper. Take a deep breath before entering a room and plaster that smile on your face. Pretending to be in a good mood will transform into a good mood!
- Exercise! Ugh-I know, I said it; listen, it doesn’t have to be anything super hard, a few sun salutations [you yogis know what I mean; a few little up and down motions to warm up your body] Take your little dog or just yourself (if lacking a four legged friend) on a quick stroll up the street, anything to get the blood flowing!
Exercise produces endorphins, which are the body’s feel good hormones, and after a nice swift walk it is so much easier to face the day!
- Get outside! Appreciating nature is a great thing for all of us- even n cold and blustery days, bundling up and admiring the falling snow [MY FAVORITE], the buds of springtime on the bare branches, full on cherry blossoms, fall leaves of fall…and back to the blizzards that we all love! Plus, fresh air makes everyone feel better!
- Turn on some tunes! Music is such easy, instantaneous and in my opinion the most effective way to change attitudes. Research has shown that it has been used to defeat depression, promote relaxation, can patients and help with pain management and many other benefits. [stress.about.com; Music and your body: how Music Affects Us and Why Music Therapy Promotes Health] My parents have said that when my favorite music was played to me when I was in a coma, my heart rate would rise and race along when a fast paced song was being played. Music has serious impacts on mood and stress level.
Today is THANKFUL THURSDAY, and today I am thankful for MUSIC THERAPY and the easy ways to get happy!
<big believer in ability for music to enhance moods!>